It's Australia Day, and I'm very proud to be Australian. An Aussie! From downunder and all that!
Mate, meatpies, flies, snags on the barbie, such cliches but so true! What's so good about being an Australian? Well, I'm glad you asked!!
1. Hugh Jackman - I've said it before, he'd make the best prime minister! Who else could email someone at the Empire State Building in NYC and ask for the building to be bathed in green and gold? Hugh that's who!
2. BBQ's - sausages on bread are totally acceptable as a dinner option. With or without onions, but definately with barbeque sauce.
3. Beaches, the country, four wheel driving, vegemite and a tonne of things that will kill you, crocodiles, snakes, spiders and jelly fish. The reason why Australia is surrounded by water is to keep these deathtraps in! But it makes us tough and gives us something to scare the overseas visitors with!
4. Australians are known for being laid back, easy going and very patriotic. Many times when I was in America, I was asked about Australia, kangaroos and "that" accent. In the middle of New York City, or walking down the magnificent mile of Chicago, the feeling of being an aussie and the knot in my stomach was almost consuming.
5. Freedom, space, mateship, beautiful weather and the bands, the music....oh the music! Cold Chisel, ACDC, INXS, The Angels, The Church, Hoodoo Gurus, Midnight Oil, and this song, which I heard when I was overseas and made me feel so overwhelmingly proud to be Australian.